Nowadays, everyone is using smartphones and the internet. Most of the businesses are working online and as a result, it has become important to these businesses to connect with their potential customers through a smartphone app. With a mobile app, customers can easily explore your services and connect with you for buying something.
Creating an app is not an easy task and needs a lot of effort and sometimes businesses need to hire professionals to do that which is a costly way. Also if you want to create an app for yourself you need to be proficient in coding. Here, comes the MIT app inventor which is a no-code app development platform that lets you create Android app with drag and drop feature. So do you want to make your first Android game or app? In this tutorial, we will introduce you to what is MIT App Inventor? And How to get started with it?
What is the MIT App Inventor?
MIT App Inventor is a no-code app development platform that lets you develop applications for Android phones without any prior experience of coding using a web browser. You can test your app on your Android phone or on the emulator. Also, it stores your projects to have a track of them.
You can sign-up on App Inventor Website and can start building the app from its drag and drop feature. It has also some detailed tutorials to help you in getting started.
The MIT App Inventor interface has two main editors:
- The Design Editor
- The Block Editor
The Design Editor is a drag and drop interface to create a User Interface(UI) for your application. And the Block Editor is where you create logic for your app and describe what steps should be taken in a particular situation. These are color-coded blocks that are connected together like puzzle pieces to create a program.
To test your app, MIT App Inventor provides an Android app called ‘The App Inventor Companion’ that you can use to test your app in real-time. You can download the companion from the Playstore.
Follow the below steps to get started with App Inventor.
- Create your Gmail Account if you do not have one already.
- Open the App Inventor Website and log in with your Gmail to create an account.
- Also, Install the MIT AI2 Companion on your phone to test your apps. And make sure your phone and laptop/computer must be connected to the same Wi-Fi.
- Click on ‘Start New Project’.
- And from the top menu click connect and AI Companion to connect your phone.
- Open the App on your Smartphone and scan the QR code presented on your computer screen or enter the 6 digit code in your app. This will connect your phone with your computer to test your app.
- Here are some of the tutorials you can use to build your first app.
- After creating your app, you can test it on your phone with The App Inventor Companion.
What are the benefits of App Inventor?
One of the biggest benefits of MIT App Inventor is that you do not need to be a master in coding in order to build your favorite game or app. Along with that, it helps you in building your logical reasoning which helps you in long term if you are looking to enter in coding world. Some of the other benefits of MIT App Inventor are:
- Everything is done in a drag and drop manner. So no need to type anything.
- You can easily test your app in real-time.
- You get some awesome tutorials to get started with it.
- You get the power of native apps with a simple User Interface.
If you have an idea and you want to build a game for yourself or if you have an idea for an app and you are not proficient in coding then MIT App Inventor is the best platform to get started. It will develop your logical reasoning and give you a snapshot of how logic works in an application. Get started now and build your first app.